The goal in a Nutshell
0Backer$0.00raised of a $500,000.00 goalTime’s Up THE PROBLEM Market demand for Soybean in Nigeria is around 2.2 million tons/year, while current annual production is between 500,000 to 600,000 metric tons. This is only about 25% of the 2.2 million tons […]
raised of a $500,000.00 goal
Market demand for Soybean in Nigeria is around 2.2 million tons/year, while current annual production is between 500,000 to 600,000 metric tons. This is only about 25% of the 2.2 million tons demanded leaving a supply gap of about 75 %. This demand gap is being met by importation for which the country spends 225 Billion Naira annually (630 million dollars). (According to Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) Report on Grains Demand and Commodity Prices).
The scenario above plays out in virtually every Nigerian agro commodity. A situation whereby, we are spending hard earned foreign currency to import agro commodities that can be easily produced locally.
The irony is that Nigeria has got ALL what it takes to increase its agricultural production. We have abundant fertile land (76.2 million hectares – FAO/World Bank), we have the population/Work Force (Nigeria is the most populated country in Africa, with population projected to reach 391 million by 2050. 93.2% of Nigerian are below 54 years – CIA World Factbook). Nigerians are hard-working and industrious. 75% of Nigerian rural dwellers are full-time farmers.
However, despite being endowed with abundant natural resources and substantial agricultural potentials, Nigerian agricultural output is at less than 40% of her production capacity and bedeviled by enormous challenges including:
- Smallholder/subsistence farming
- Use of manual farm tools/methods
- Lack of good access roads and adequate transport facilities
- Lack of storage and/or processing facilities
- High post-harvest losses (60%)
- Lack of modern farm machines / techniques
- Lack of standards or grading system
- Lack of information about/access to markets and off-takers
- Lack of value addition to primary agricultural products
- Poor handling, packing and packaging
It can be seen therefore, that the problem of Nigerian agriculture is not necessary that of production but of aggregation, distribution and linkage to markets and off-takers
Gold-Forth Limited a “Not Only for Profit Company” and we intend to positioned ourselves to address the challenges facing farmers, processors, bulk buyers and exporters in supply chain management of agro commodities by setting up an initiative/project in 10 selected Nigerian States called Gold-Forth Farmers Network (GFFN).
This initiative will link together the farmers, producers of agro inputs, government agencies, the financial sector and major processors and buyers etc.
It will enable Gold-Forth to deliver high-quality agro products to the market value chain and encouraging more people to consider farming as a livelihood as well as increase the level of resources allocated to farming (Land, Labour, Capital etc.) thereby resulting in greater output.
GFFN will be run through a partnership model, bringing together farmers, buyers and processors, Seedling Company, Fertilizer Company, Agro-Chemical Company, Agro Research Institutions, Technology Company, Financial Institutions and relevant Government Agencies.
We have been talking and discussing about the problems of agriculture in Africa at seminars, talk-shows, conferences, workshops etc, the time for talk is over; now it’s time for action! Support our initiative, support the Nigerian farmers.